Brooklyn Basic Submit Workplace escapes the wrecking ball
Editor’s note: A version of this post was originally published in 2010. You can see the original contribution here.
The Brooklyn General Post Office is one of those grand bourgeois buildings that the fathers of the city of Brooklyn made proud in the late 19th century: a gleaming limestone castle adorned with eagles, lions, and this wonderful tower.
The building at 271 Cadman Plaza East was designed by Mifflin E. Bell and constructed from 1885 to 1891. An expansion designed by James Wetmore was started in 1930 and completed in 1933.
The Romanesque Rebirth building, along with City Hall (now Brooklyn Borough Hall), was a popular postcard subject of the early 20th century. It’s a great building that makes going to the post office more positive.
It’s also one of the few old buildings that escaped the wrecking ball when Cadman Plaza was built in the 1950s – though the postal service wanted a new facility.
Fortunately, someone saw its potential as an anchor for the square and as a beautiful building in its own right. The building was rebuilt in 2000 by the Kliment and Halsband companies.
[Photos by Susan De Vries unless noted otherwise]
Email [email protected] with additional comments, questions, or tips. Follow Brownstoner on Twitter and Instagram and like us on Facebook.